Packets never lie and capturing them is the surest way to have complete information for root cause analysis. However, it is unlikely that you will want to capture every packet from every location in your network. Wouldn’t it be great if you could use information from your network management system’s alerts to only turn on packet capture at the time and place where suspicious behavior is occurring? Well you can, with a new solution from IBM Tivoli and Anue Systems.
Here is how the joint solution makes this a reality. The Anue Net Tool Optimizer™ (NTO) network monitoring switch uses its Automated Response Technology to extend the IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus’ ability to detect, analyze and respond to network issues. When IBM Tivoli Netcool detects an anomaly, the Anue NTO can automatically, or via a right mouse click from Netcool, send the right traffic to a forensic recorder or other monitoring probe.
The joint solution leverages:
- IBM Tivoli Netcool is the EYES and BRAINS – Netcool provides a wide view of the network (primarily via SNMP) and powerful event correlation/alerting capabilities
- Anue network monitoring switch is the ARMS and LEGS – The NTO’s strategic location between your network and your packet based monitoring tools allows just the right packets to be captured from anywhere in the network. The NTO can move your packet- based tools to any location in your network to look at any packet by software reconfiguration.
This joint solution for automated incident remediation was recently certified as Ready for IBM Tivoli.
- Accelerate root cause analysis by capturing all of the required packets
- Provide monitoring and security tools the right data at the right time from anywhere in the network to maximize coverage
- Eliminate time consuming and error prone manual steps
Easy to Implement
- Leverages IBM Tivoli Netcool’s wide network view and powerful event correlation/alerting capabilities
- Uses Netcool’s standard right mouse click customization and alert trigger capabilities
- Includes Anue’s library of automation scripts that we can rapidly customize as needed
Read more about Triggering Packet Captures from IBM Tivoli Netcool here: http://www.anuesystems.com/resource-library/whitepapers/slash-mttr-by-automatically-triggering-packet-captures-from-ibm-tivoli-netcool-omnibus